Utilizing advanced waste treatment technologies to minimize waste disposal and GHG emissions
Are you prepared?
Even with significant efforts towards waste diversion from landfills, there are significant quantities of waste being disposed in landfills, containing high amounts of organic and up to 85-90% recyclable material. Even with disposal bans for organic waste, the disposed waste contains significant amounts of organic material, which leads to anaerobic decomposting and methane generation. Emissions from landfills pose an environmental risk, and create a long-term liability involving extensive post-closure care, even for future generations.
As public acceptance for new landfills, even those meeting the highest technical standards for leachate and landfill gas management, is very low, the extension of the site life of existing landfills by waste diversion / reduction is key for successful waste management.
What Options are available?
Beyond waste reduction and diversion programs, the following options are available to reduce waste quantities and the emissions from landfills:
- Waste to Energy (WTE)
- Mechanic Biological Treatment (MBT)
Since WTE has experienced significant public opposition, MBT should be considered as a viable alternative.
What are the characteristics of MBT in comparison with WTE?
- Lower capital and operational expenses
- Higher degree of recycling (Fe, Plastic > 90%)
- Higher flexibility towards variations in waste composition and waste quantities, achieved by using a modular system
- Higher energy efficiency, based on metal recycling and utilization of high caloric Process Engineered Fuel (PEF)
- “Decoupling” of waste treatment and energy production, and storability of PEF
- Benefits existing industrial infrastructure by providing an alternative fuel source
- Good public acceptance of projects completed to-date
- Many years of positive experience in Germany / Europe
HBHE can help!
With over three decades of industry experience and the opportunity to collaborate directly with the system developer, we can provide:
- Feasibility studies
- Waste management plans
- Project Management